Sunday, August 17, 2008

Living in a Glass House

I was genuinely surprised at how negative and unsubtle the coverage of China was during the Olympics, especially during the opening ceremony a week ago. (I haven’t actually watched any competitions for more than 30 seconds.) Yet even NBC’s sportscaster Costas was thoughtful enough to ask W. about “America’s own problems.” Thankfully, the mainstream media also hopped on McCain for saying, with regard to Russia v. Georgia, “In the 21st century, nations don’t invade other nations.”

So you’re not a warmonger, megachurch pastor, corporate titan, or other type of high profile hypocrite. How do manage your own arrogance and avoid hypocrisy in your life? Sometimes it’s easy to ask others to do as you do not, yet sometimes it’s easier still to hush and not call people out on their shit, since you know you’re not perfect. “Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye but fail to notice the beam in your own eye?”

But nobody’s perfect, and that shouldn’t keep one from pointing out bullshit. I think sometimes that I could just spend all day just calling various folks out on bullshit, but that’s probably a waste of my time. I’ve got better things to do, after all. But I do like to be called out on mistakes so I can improve (or at least I think I do… maybe that’s just arrogant delusion.) What I mean is that I realize how badly criticism is needed to keep one improving and on target. Sometimes you have to get over your own hypocrisy and be unafraid of being critical, if you want to help out others. The only difference with the neocons is that you’ve got to acknowledge your own shortcomings.

No comments: