I was driving back into town this evening for a work-related event, and was surprised to see something new for this small city: police on a horse! It's been awhile since I've seen equestrian-powered law enforcement, not since I lived in the (relatively) big city.
The horse is used to patrol the recently developed park areas along the river, so it makes a lot of sense in terms of mobility. And I'm sure an officer on a horse is more intimidating to riverside ne'er-do-wells than one on a mere bicycle (we've got a few bike cops on campus).
It struck me that one whimsical solution to the climate crisis would be a return to riding horses to get around. Instead of growing more corn for biofuels, we'll just grow more corn for more horses. The only emissions problem? Methane.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment