Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grammar School

After handing back scripts that my students were asked to submit for their media course, one student who's never had me as an instructor before was surprised to find her sheet covered in furious corrections and other marks from my green inkpen.

"What is this, grammar school?" she asked. God forbid I would correct her punctuation mistakes.

So when she brought the assignment forward at the end of class, and asked me if all those commas I was asking for were necessary, I explained that she's writing for other people to read and to perform from. I took the script from her and read a couple of lines as she wrote originally wrote them, without essential commas needed for natural pauses. She made a face at how odd it sounded, of course. Then I read the same sentences with the commas (and therefore pauses) inserted.

"Oh, okay."

No comments: